Everything You Need to Know about Making or Purchasing a Bicycle Planter
My neighbor is a feisty elderly lady who cares about my family and keeps the most lovely yard. She puts in colorful flowerbeds, cuts her grass every week, and trims her bushes and evergreens without thinking twice about using power tools. My favorite aspect of her yard is her bicycle planter. It is a vintage blue with three decorative baskets. Her flowers are always watered (unlike mine!) and create a lovely addition to the front of her house.
Her bicycle planter creates a welcoming feeling as well as it adds a timeless element to her carefully landscaped yard. With this in mind, I’d love to talk about how to transform your old bike into a cute new piece of art by turning it into a bicycle planter!
Bicycle planters are a great way to be vintage and modern at the same time. Having one of these in your yard will definitely impress the neighbors as well as anyone else driving by.
But should you make or buy a bicycle planter? How hard is it to create one? What are some of the best bicycle planters I can find online?
We are going to tackle all of that (and more!) below.
Should I make or buy a bicycle planter?
15 million bicycles are thrown away every single year. That means the majority of them end up in landfills to just waste away.
The first thing that came to mind when I read that was Bob the Builder and his “renew, reuse, recycle,” but if we are going to be completely honest, vintage and unique are always in style and a bicycle planter fits both of these.
Therefore, rather than tossing your old bike into a land fill, let’s talk about bicycle planters and how awesome they are. If you don’t have a bicycle or have gifted it to someone, but still want to make a fun focal point in your garden or yard, there are a lot of bicycle planters on the market. We will include those below as well.
If you don’t have a bike of your own that is no longer useable, I can guarantee someone in your neighborhood has one. Ask around, get the word out on social media that you are in search of one and I am sure you will be flooded with volunteers. No one likes to throw out items that they once enjoyed or that they spent money on for their kids.
Additionally, you can find them at flea markets, thrift stores, curb side cleanup, and garage sales.
How To Make a Bicycle Planter
Like most landscaping, you can get as creative or as simple as you wish when making a bicycle planter. While planning your artistic endeavor keep these things in mind:
- You can easily spray paint the bicycle to change its color. FavCrafts has a helpful tutorial to spray painting your bike to get the look you want. Paint it all one color or multiple colors. Your choices are endless!
- Baskets are easy to attach to bikes on both the front and the back, providing two simple planters.
- Get creative with places to put other baskets such as on the seat.
- No need to put all of your pots on the bicycle itself. Definitely dress up around the bike with colorful potted plants as well.
- Change up the type of planter you use. Is wicker your favorite or perhaps old wooden boxes fit your style best. Terra cotta makes a lovely statement, but be sure it fits securely.
- Creating flat bases on which to place your pots is not difficult. Check out this video which shows you how to convert your bike into a flower stand.
- The bicycle will be difficult to move. Not only will you have planters on them which will get heavy full of soil, but making a simple stand to give your bicycle stability might be a good idea and therefore prevent your bike from rolling.
- Zip ties are your friend. They will securely attach your baskets to the bike for a long time.
- Don’t be afraid to add vintage details such as bows or banners to your bike. This is a great way to mix things up for various seasons and holidays.
- Go with a theme! Are you hoping for a vintage look or perhaps something more delicate like a fairy garden. You can go all American with red, white, and blue flowers set in white baskets on a blue bicycle or you can get a little more sophisticated with this tutorial for a French cottage bicycle planter.
- Placement can be creative as well. Some enjoy displaying their bicycle planters near the front door with a welcome sign while others use it as a way to dress up a large privacy fence. Put it in your garden and plant herbs in the baskets or smack in the middle of your flower bed to add dimension and variety.
- Don’t forget about the little guys. Tricycles that your kids have outgrown make great bicycle planters. They are sturdy and small so can fit nicely into a variety of spaces.
- Fun elements will keep people talking. Put a pair of old tennis shoes on the bike pedals or a doll tucked in among the flowers.
Best bicycle planters by category
Now that we’ve discussed making your own bicycle planters, let’s turn out attention to the awesome bikes available to purchase. They are cute and come in a variety of colors, sizes, and styles so you are sure to find the best one for your space.
Keep in mind that these come in a range of sizes so check the dimensions to be sure it is what you are looking for.
I have attempted to categorize these, but if you don’t see what you are looking for, keep scrolling. It might be here yet.
Iron Bicycle Planter
If you are in search of a bicycle planter made of wrought iron, you have a wonderful selection to choose from. You can choose tricycle style or one with two wheels, very ornamental or a simple design, one or two or three baskets, as well as a variety of sizes. If you have a specific one in mind, it will not be difficult to find it!
Both of these are tricycle style with decorative wheels and baskets. The first one is bronze in color and the second is black. They both have three baskets. A smaller one with a diameter of 6.5 inches and two larger ones with a diameter of 8.5 inches.
For a lovely slender bike made of sturdy iron and a lot of visual appeal check out this next bicycle planter. Vintage blue is always a good choice and the details are unique. It is intended for both indoor and outdoor use and would make a great addition to any part of your home or yard. It is not as bulky as the above iron planters making it great for a porch or patio as well.
Vintage Bicycle Planter
We are going to jump into the vintage bicycle planter category with a great old design of one large wheel and one small. This planter is sure to get onlookers’ attention and bring charm and a conversation piece to your yard. It contains two baskets that fit 5-inch pots.
Are you looking for a planter with a farmhouse feel? This bicycle is made of metal painted red, white, and gray. The three metal pots are perfect for most plants and flowers and will add just the right amount of charm to your space without going overboard.
If you enjoy the distressed look for a vintage vibe, this bicycle planter is perfect. It is less than two feet long and the baskets are both 4 3/4 inches in diameter. I love the design on the wheels!
Is vintage red your style? Check out this last one in our vintage category. It has a farmhouse feel and the color definitely stands out in this roundup. It is a good size at 54 inches long and has three baskets which are 10 inches in diameter.
Small Bicycle Planter
At less than 2 feet long, this planter is not only cute but versatile. It has only one basket for a plant, but it is a good size at 10 inches in diameter. The iron material and tricycle style make it sturdy and durable.
Small, lightweight, and inexpensive, this bicycle planter will fit a variety of spaces. The two baskets are made for 4.9 inch pots perfect for herbs or any variety of small flowers. A quick heads up, it comes folded and a quick assembly requires bending the metal into a three-dimensional form.
At just under 12 inches, this planter is the smallest one in the collection. It is perfect for a porch, patio, inside space, or as a garden decoration. The small size makes also makes it a great table center piece for a baby shower, bridal shower, or other event.
Bicycle Wall Planter
There are two ways to go with bicycle wall planters. I saw a few cute ones that simply include the handlebars and a basket or you can go with just a bicycle basket. Refresh Restyle has a great tutorial on bicycle baskets for indoor use.
Alternatively, check out these unique bicycle wall planters.
These first two bicycle wall planters have only the handlebars and half of the front wheel along with a basket. It is not only a unique and fun design but functional. A definite conversation piece. They are also versatile. Large enough to make a statement and yet small enough to get the bike feel without an entire bicycle.
If you are wondering what to plant in your baskets, check out this post on ceramic planters which gives a few good ideas. For more fun ideas for unique planters check out these wine barrel planters and wishing well planters!
Final thoughts on a bicycle planter
So, are you sold on the whole idea of a bicycle planter? From amazing ones you can create yourself to the huge variety available to purchase online, your options are endless. Your space is going to look amazing and you will be showing it off for years to come!
I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas in the comments below!